1. You want to write? Get your ass in that chair and do it. Even if it’s ten minutes every three days.
2. Stop making excuses about everyone else’s time/schedule/lifestyle/ability – you will never be anyone else but you. Be the best you you can be.
3. Keep your shit together in public
4. Dignity Costs Nothing
5. Don’t email angry. Wait a day, even an hour before you hit send.
6. Just because you can wear your underwear as clothing in public doesn’t mean you should.
7. If you preface something, “Not to be racist/sexist” etc, you are and don’t say it.
8. Suck it up
9. Don’t call your ex boyfriend or look him up on myspace just because you’ve had a fight with your current partner or when you are drunk or PMSing.
10. Don’t tell an editor your manuscript is the book of your heart.
11. Don’t give up.
12. Be grateful and humble about your successes and don’t forget to tell people you appreciate them.
13. Don’t take the low road. There’s not a damned thing wrong with being positive, especially in public.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
May 16th, 2007 at 8:14 pm · Link
If you want to keep something private, but have an intense need to share it with the universe, write it on a piece of paper, burn the paper, then stomp it into infinitesimal pieces of ash.
May 16th, 2007 at 8:20 pm · Link
1. Eat wasabit peas for they are the seekrit
2. When playing water volleyball and you happen to fall against your hot, half naked male partner, it’s totally okay to boytouch
3. Own it
4. Not everything in your head has to come out through your mouth!
May 16th, 2007 at 8:22 pm · Link
Great list, especially #9. Very bad impulse to follow!
May 16th, 2007 at 9:39 pm · Link
I am doing #12 for this week TT. Thanks for your advices.
May 16th, 2007 at 9:47 pm · Link
I like Advice #9. It kept me from making a fool out of myself a lot of times hehe 🙂
May 16th, 2007 at 11:43 pm · Link
Excellent list! Thanks for the reminders. 🙂
May 17th, 2007 at 4:13 am · Link
heh. i felt like saluting and yelling “m’am, yes m’am!” on the first four! 😳
May 17th, 2007 at 4:26 am · Link
Never look up to see a pigeon.
May 17th, 2007 at 4:53 am · Link
Some of these are great ones to remember and to pass on. Thanks!
May 17th, 2007 at 5:28 am · Link
Love your Thursday 13 graphic!
May 17th, 2007 at 6:39 am · Link
Don’t wear clothing that is three sizes too small for you.
No TT today, just wanted to stop by and say HI!
May 17th, 2007 at 6:53 am · Link
Lots of excellent advice…and so timely!
May 17th, 2007 at 7:01 am · Link
I think “suck it up” is the best advice I could have heard today ;o)
May 17th, 2007 at 7:22 am · Link
Great advice. I love the suck it up. Oh, and don’t let that green-eyed monster get a toehold cause he/she is a bastard to get rid of!
May 17th, 2007 at 7:42 am · Link
Number 8 should be in the Tao. No shit. So should number 9 for that matter.
May 17th, 2007 at 8:38 am · Link
AND DON’T FORGET TO WEAR UNDERWEAR. Seriously, this happened to me once. I was in the middle of class, absently scratching under the waistband of my jeans when I noticed something… I couldn’t feel the waistband of my panties. I went to the bathroom to check it out and sure enough, in my rush to get out of the house, I forgot to put on some panties.
May 17th, 2007 at 8:42 am · Link
May 17th, 2007 at 9:23 am · Link
I personally like the underwear as clothes thing, but thats just easy on the eyes.
May 17th, 2007 at 9:34 am · Link
May 17th, 2007 at 9:37 am · Link
Heh… I know where some of these pieces of advice are coming from. 🙂
They’re all good ones, though.
And you all have finally convinced me to join the Thursday Thirteen posse — I started with 13 recent allergy-free dinners. 🙂
May 17th, 2007 at 9:43 am · Link
Good advice. Am very carefully biting my tongue today.
May 17th, 2007 at 9:53 am · Link
Great TT, Lauren. I keep reminding myself about number one every time there’s a day of no writing that I write more days than not and that has to be good enough.
May 17th, 2007 at 11:02 am · Link
Great advice… I’m going to have to print them 😉 And especially highlight #1, lol
May 17th, 2007 at 11:59 am · Link
Note to self: No more saying, “Not to be a bitch….” *Sigh* 🙄
May 17th, 2007 at 12:35 pm · Link
Youch! Great advice and a couple too close to home. *gluing butt to chair*
I’m up too. Happy TT!
May 17th, 2007 at 12:38 pm · Link
Great advice! Keep control of the green-eyed monster. Don’t compare your progress to others because everyone is different!
Smile. It’s catchy 😀
May 17th, 2007 at 2:24 pm · Link
Wise words, Lauren. Timely, too.
May 17th, 2007 at 2:47 pm · Link
Amie – I think one should just own one’s bitchiness. Just be a bitch, LOL!
Shell – yes, comparing yourself to others is the bane of this darned business!
May 17th, 2007 at 2:49 pm · Link
Oh Megan – OWN IT should be a national slogan.
LOL Bam – yes, remembering your underpants is always a good thing.
May 17th, 2007 at 2:50 pm · Link
Yay Anni! I’ve missed seeing more entries from you!
May – yep, number one is my mantra along with number 2
May 17th, 2007 at 4:17 pm · Link
Great advice and words to live by.
May 17th, 2007 at 7:44 pm · Link
Well, chicklet, you sound like a wise woman ta me!
May 17th, 2007 at 9:20 pm · Link
This is a fantastic list 🙂 Great rules to live by! lol I especially like the ‘suck it up’ rule.