So that minx (and ubertalented author) Jaci tagged me…
Seven Random Facts About Me:
1. I’m a control freak (hey it said random, not surprising). Being an author is a total challenge to this part of me because well, there are a lot of important things outside your control.
2. I love Donna Summer – I’m currently listening to On The Radio right now
3. I’m totally goofy and too old to care what anyone else thinks about it. For instance, I always say goofy stuff – just now one of my favorite things to say is “flossy flossy”
4. I love pin up art and vintage styled clothing.
5. My favorite poem is Mary Oliver’s Wild Geese. It makes me cry every time I read it:
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild gees, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting-
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
“Wild Geese,” by Mary Oliver from New & Selected Poems (Harcourt Brace)
6. I’m obsessed with music and it’s tied very closely into my writing process. There’s not a big moment in my life that I don’t have a song associated with for one reason or another. Labor and delivery of my first child – Tub Thumping by Chumbawumba because it was on the radio relentlessly! My trip to Budapest with my husband – and also the first time my husband said I love you – Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. The former because we heard a group play it on the walls of the castle in Pest and the latter because the record was on when he told me.
7. I’m actually sort of shy.