1. Soul Kitchen – X (I love the Doors, they’re probably one of my favorite bands ever, but the X cover of Soul Kitchen is way better than the original. I do think it’s very cool that John Dinsmore produced the Los Angeles record, you can hear Doors influences all over it)
2. Hurt – Johnny Cash. (who’d have thought Johnny Cash could so totally own a song written by Trent Reznor? But he does. Man do I love this song. Haunting, so much more so than the original)
3. Dizzy Miss Lizzy – Beatles (Many people don’t know this one is a cover but it’s one of my favorites and the Beatles did a fabulous job)
4. Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley (There are several remakes of this song, Rufus Wainright also does one but Buckley’s always makes me want to weep)
5. The Man Who Sold the World – Nirvana (I love the original too, but Nirvana nailed it)
6. Respect – Aretha (Now don’t get me wrong, I think Otis Redding is the man. I love him and his songs but Aretha made this song as much as it made her. It fits her far better.)
7. If You Don’t Know Me – Simply Red (I love this remake of the original Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes song)
8. Highway 61 Revisited – PJ Harvey (It takes big brass balls to remake a Bob Dylan song and own it, PJ Harvey is who I want to be when I grow up and turn into a rock star)
9. Hey Joe – Jimi Hendrix (It’s Jimi, he completely kicked ass when he covered Watchtower too)
10. Proud Mary – Ike and Tina (I love CCR, I do, but Tina’s energy on this song makes it hers)
11. Susie Q – CCR (now this one is a cover of a Dale Hawkins song. Every time I hear it, I think about that scene in Apocalypse Now)
12. Time Is On My Side – Rolling Stones (Irma Thomas did this one in the early 50’s but Mick’s voice and the Stones’ arrangement is better I think)
13. Baba O’Riley – Pearl Jam (This is one where I enjoy the original almost as much but I’ve seen PJ sing it live several times and I love their energy on it and I think Ed’s voice is perfect for it)
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
December 7th, 2006 at 11:05 am · Link
What a great list! I’ve got fun songs running through my little head right now….
December 7th, 2006 at 11:20 am · Link
Some of my favorite covers are Last Kiss by Pearl Jam, Mexican Radio by Authority Zero, Whiskey In The Jar & Turn The Page by Metallica and It’s My Life by No Doubt
December 7th, 2006 at 1:17 pm · Link
just reading the word respect makes me start singing.
December 7th, 2006 at 7:48 pm · Link
Oooh, I’ll definitely have to check out that Johnny Cash version. I don’t think I’ve heard it! Happy TT!
December 8th, 2006 at 12:21 am · Link
I love your list!!
Happy TT! 😀
December 9th, 2006 at 12:17 am · Link
Great list. Now I’m gonna have awesome cover songs on the mind all weekend lol.
The Cash cover of Hurt was just brilliant. That’s one of those songs I listen to over and over again.
December 10th, 2006 at 6:46 am · Link