1. Work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed. – Vaclav Havel
2. The dissident does not operate in the realm of genuine power at all. He is not seeking power. He has no desire for office and does not gather votes. He does not attempt to charm the public, he offers nothing and promises nothing. He can offer, if anything, only his own skin — and he offers it solely because he has no other way of affirming the truth he stands for. His actions simply articulate his dignity as a citizen, regardless of the – Vaclav Havel
3. We don’t see things as they are. We see them as we are. – Anais Nin
4. He who controls the past commands the future. He who commands the future conquers the past. – George Orwell – 1984
5. I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. -Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird
6. In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
7. Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real. – Iris Murdoch
8. Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. – George Lois
9. Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean. – Maya Angelou
10. I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. – Nelson Mandela
11. A word after a word after a word is power. – Margaret Atwood
12. I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. – Elie Wiesel
13. Your silence will not protect you. – Audre Lorde
Thursday Thirteeners – add your comments and I’ll link ya!