THIRTEEN THINGS I’M THANKFUL FOR
1. My husband who brought me home a bouquet of exotic flowers when I got the offer on Vegas II this week.
2. My kids are, well, my kids and they’re all alive and full of kid-type goodness. My oldest is obsessed with Pokemon. And in that way a 10 year old boy can be obsessed which means it drives me insane. He starts telling me about this dream where he’s in a cave and suddenly it’s all about Pokemon and I groan.
“Dude. No Pokemon stuff.”
“But mom, it’s for school! I wrote an assignment about it.”
“No way. Don’t wanna hear it. Tell me about math.”
He tells me about Pokemon anyway!
“DUDE! I said no. I can’t take it. I’m going to have a seizure.”
“But it’s for school!”
3. My friends. I’m very blessed in my friends. People who have been with me even when things get rough, who celebrate when things are good and give me love when things are bad. Friends who’ll totally tell me if I have spinach in my teeth (metaphorically too) or if my dress is bunched in my tights. I’ve been making some new friends recently and that’s wonderful too.
4. My readers. Wow, what can I say? You are all so good to me and I wouldn’t be here celebrating all these contracts without your support.
5. Vegas II – I’d been in sort of a blues/funk space with my writing, or rather the publication aspect, feeling a bit stuck right on the verge. It’s not an eight book, six figure deal, but it came along right when I needed it and helps me continue to believe in myself and my work.
6. The cover for Vegas I – I can’t stop looking at it. I am jonesin to show it to everyone. All the authors in the anthology are so thrilled with this cover. It’s fun, sexy, young and sooooo pretty!
7. Music – I was talking to Ann Aguirre yesterday about MC Solaar and how much I loved French hip hop and now I’m on a renewed MC Solaar kick. I listened to Ben Oui over and over as I wrote last night. This novella will have a dance music oriented soundtrack. His stuff is hard to get here in the US but you can grab some of it at iTunes or find imports.
Here’s a bit from youtube – not a video but you can hear the song.
8. Wonderful books! I’ll talk about some of them tomorrow for Friday Booktalk
9. This writing gig in general. Five years ago I wouldn’t have imagined I’d be writing and making a real go of it.
10. TVGASM – I love their recaps. Since I don’t watch a lot of TV to make space to write, I can follow stuff by reading the hilarious recaps.
11. Planning for RT. I like dressing up. I like hanging out with readers and other authors. It’s one time I get to be Lauren without other contexts. I don’t have to worry about my kids and their schedule. I can just do my own thing and it’s a lot of fun. We’re hosting a reader party on Friday this year so I can’t wait.
12. Clive – He’s so pretty and yet, so masculine and there’s SUCH a bad boy in there. Yum. He inspires me.
13. Little things make me happy. Sure I want a big book deal, sure I want to win the lottery to pay off all our student loans so we can move into a bigger house, etc. But little things can still make me happy – a note from a friend, hearing an old song on the radio, pictures my kids draw, the smell of fall in the air, cupcakes.